Old December 21st 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Zabriskie did it?

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

A couple of thoughts.

- Age graded World Records are total horse****.

Well, can we agree that they have similar legitimacy to age-group
championships?

Not in dumbass mode or anything, what's wrong with setting the "best
hour by age 44" (or whatever)? It's not going to be of great interest
to people other than Fattie Masters with scary VO2s and exercise
physiologists interested in elite performance declines with age, but it
hardly costs anyone anything.

- The US Hour Record is recognized. It goes to whomever owned
it before aero stuff came on the scene. In 1984 a guy that
no one had ever heard of (Paul Liebenrood) rode double disks
at the Major Taylor and claimed the record. Maybe someone
like Coggan or Sundquist can remember whose record he broke.
For some reason Rick Ball sticks with me. I don't know why.
But I think it dated from the late 70s.

Works for me.

- Zabriskie announced the attempt:
http://www.homedepotcenter.com/press...CategoryI D=0

I don't think he bailed for some lame ass reason like his
sponsor only makes bikes with round tubes because he certainly
knew that before the press release. It's not like this is
something that just popped up out of the blue.

If it *is* the reason then he's an even bigger douchebag.

Bob Schwartz

The mind boggles. If I had to guess, it's probably either some oddball
technical glitch (injury, bike prep, paperwork wasn't in...) or he just
flaked out.

Z. is flaky, but I doubt he's that flaky.