Old November 15th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

Default Dog & Bike Stories Wanted

On Nov 13, 11:26 pm, wrote:
I continue to try to recoup damages for dog/bike accident I was in
last year. A dog ran in front of me, causing me to swerve and crash.
But the dog owner's insurance people are laying the blame on me,
claiming that I was riding too fast (I was doing about 15 mph), lost
control even though the dog was thirty feet away from me, fishtailed for
sixty feet (really, that's what they're saying!), and finally went down.
So I thought I'd solicit the experiences of others here who may have
had run-ins with dogs, which might have caused a crash or injury, or in
which you were able to avoid the dog.
Anyone have a story they'd like to share?

Friday morning, as dawn approached in a light cold rain, I went past
one of those Rottweiller-type dogs. He was standing on the edge of
the road, and I only saw him (and him me at the same instant) a
fraction of a second before passing within what seemed like a couple
of feet. He was about the size of the Hound of Baskerville. I was so
startled I didn't even have time to say, "Hi, pooch", but instead
yelped some scared little exclamation and started pushing the pedals.

I was already in second-from-the-top gear, but got some good
acceleration. I could hear him coming after me, but apparently I got
a good enough jump and he was a "good dog", 'cause I got away.

(I typically greet barking dogs with, "Hi, pooch", because it seems to
immediately inform them that I'm a man, FWIW, not a gazelle or
something.)

Another time one of those big dogs came after me and was really
closing the gap, when a couple of cars came along from both directions
and I got away.

Another time a dog ran out into the road after me and I watched over
my shoulder as he bounced off the bumper of a car going the other way.