Old February 4th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

Default Rear-View Mirrors

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:40:40, PatTX wrote:
:
: I have no problem at all with people who say they don't need them. I
: have no problem with people who say they've tried them but don't like
: them, or can't get the hang of them. But I think the "oh ****"
: vitriol they attract is pretty weird!
:
: - Frank Krygowski

That's my position, too. I don't care if people use or do not use mirrors. I
won't say that makes better or worse than other people. Hell, it doesn't
affect me if you use a mirror--or don't. Why the vitriol on this subject?
It's just a personal preference.

BTW: The "Take a Look" mirror is well-made. It's the best mirror I've seen.

I feel the same way. I don't have neck flexibility issues (except in
the winter when I'm wearin my coat for the commute). Also in winter,
when I'm wearing a hat to cover my ears, I simply can't hear as well.
I tend to use my mirror for quick glances to see if I should even
bother trying to change lanes for turns or to see if there's anyone
coming up on me in the next 10 seconds or so.

I use a Take a Look mirror mounted on my cheap-o sunglasses. It's well
made enough that it's outlasted 3 pairs of glasses.

http://www.rei.com/product/752285

Note that the picture on that page has the mirror rotated 90 degrees
counter-clockwise so that it would interfere with your field of view.

The only issue I have with it is that some styles of glasses have
temples that are incompatible with the mounting mechanism. if you
have round temples, it tends to rotate our of position.

A friend of mine has a mirror that another friend of hers makes. He's
a dentist and makes mirrors out of old dental mirrors.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/