Old February 6th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Default Rear-View Mirrors

wrote:
Mike Yankee wrote:

A mirror mounted on your glasses will likely be more stable than one
on your helmet. I've used such a mirror for years and it's saved my
ass a few times; I feel naked riding without it.

As I have often mentioned, try reading this text with your head turned
so that the angle of vision replicates looking into a glasses or
helmet mounted mirror, and tell me if you can read it. I cannot
decipher text with one eye at such an angle, something that tells me
the method does not replicate using mirrors in a car. Even those
mirrors are not fool proof as a driver's test will reveal. One must
turn the head and look to the rear or fail the test.

Beyond that, I must assume the mirror folk don't hear well so they
have no idea what is approaching from behind. As may be apparent, I'm
no advocate of head mounted mirrors. I believe they are reserved for
the paranoid just as the HID headlights (some even flashing) that burn
my eyes in broad daylight all to often.

I use a mirror. No helmet.

I ride recumbents, though. Head-mount rear-view mirrors work very well
on them. On an upright bike you may only see your own shoulder depending
on how far forward you are hunched over, and that's generally not of
much safety benefit.

The "hearing" issue you note is interesting.
I bought some hearing-mufflers and found that on a recumbent, they
didn't work very well at all. On a recumbent one's head is upright or
tilted back, while on an upright bike your head is tilted over forward.

------

Also, I am a Mutha ****in Pimp. YMMV.
~