Old November 13th 19, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mini pump with or without a hose

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:51:09 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 04:41:34 UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:15:53 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

I am about to replace my mini pump with one that I would be able to
attach to the frame, and that would, hopefully, be more efficient.

While the old-fashioned mini pumps have a flexible hose, some of the
more recent ones do not. I have the impression that a flexible hose is
useful to avoid damaging the valve, but I wonder if this does not
degrades the performance (by which I mean, the ability to inflate a tire
to a correct pressure without excessive effort).

Do you have any advice on this matter?

Bicycly yours,

--
Tanguy

A hose adds volume, which is significant with mini pumps. With the same stroke and diameter of the piston this results in less pressure. Another problem I saw in practice is that the inner of the valve gets unscrewed while unscrewing the hose after inflating. If I would use a mini pump I would choose for a non hose one and practice on my technique but I gave up on minipumps and use CO2 cartridges now. YMMV.

Lou

I bought a mini-pump with hose, folding pump handle and folding foot piece with a dual-head snap on chuck just like a floor pump, for my sister. There is no screwing of the hose to a valve. My sister loves it.

Cheers

In my world these don't fall in the category mini pumps. Depends on your reference of course.

Lou