Old November 14th 19, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Mini pump with or without a hose

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:39:01 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 13/11/19 8:15 pm, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

I am about to replace my mini pump with one that I would be able to
attach to the frame, and that would, hopefully, be more efficient.

While the old-fashioned mini pumps have a flexible hose, some of the
more recent ones do not. I have the impression that a flexible hose is
useful to avoid damaging the valve, but I wonder if this does not
degrades the performance (by which I mean, the ability to inflate a tire
to a correct pressure without excessive effort).

Do you have any advice on this matter?

Bicycly yours,

I have two lezyne mini pumps. One is a "road drive"
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-rddr-v2l04 and the other is I
think a HV (high volume) drive for fat tyre bicycles.

Both are excellent. The hose doesn't cause a noticeable loss of
pressure. I think there is a valve in the pump and of course at the
tube. For road bike Presta valves the hose can be pushed or screwed on.

Only issue is that sweat can cause the aluminium to corrode. Make sure
the hose threads have grease on them so when it is stored in the pump
handle it doesn't corrode in place so you cannot remove it when you need it.

Pumps do need routine maintenance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZ5Smx4FmQ It's easy to forget about them until its too late.

-- Jay Beattie.