Old August 8th 03, 06:16 PM

Default Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?

In rec.bicycles.misc Bill wrote:

I have two Silca pumps, the Track pump and a Super Pista. About 15 and 6-8
yrs old respectively. They both work like new, durable, inexpensive, capable
of high pressure. The Super Pista is reasonably high volume. One is on the
back porch the other stays in the car.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo... ,23415,21739
Bill

The Silca pumps are great quality pumps especially for high pressure road
tires, but the volume per stroke is rather low compared many other pumps.
For a mountain bike it isn't a big deal, but I wouldn't want to inflate
a car tire with it.

The best bicycle pump for inflating car tires would be the one with the
largest diameter barrel and longest stroke. The blackburn TPS-1 has a
pretty big barrel and stroke. So much so, that it is difficult to inflate
road bike tires with it. Maybe blackburn has resigned the double sided
schrader/presta head, but a problem I had a few years ago was the schrader
head had a check valve built into it which severly constricted the flow
of air to the tire. It considerably raised the effort needed to inflate
the tire.

---
Eric