Old August 14th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

Default AG: Croissant Combo

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 13:30:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/12/2019 6:13 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 13:39:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/10/2019 11:33 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Monday, 5 August 2019

Today was the third time in a week I rode to Kilainey's to buy our
supper.

On Tuesday, I used the flatfoot and went dressed in shorts and shirt.
On previouse trips I'd squashed the carry-out box bungeeing it to the
top of the detachable basket, so this time I detached the basket and
bungeed an Amazon box to the rack. This worked well.

I got tired of kiddy-bike pedalling before I got there -- the cranks
are forward, but not forward far enough that I can straighten my legs,
even when the seat is so high that only my toe-tips touch the
pavement. So on Thursday, when I came back from Sprawlmart and
decided to buy supper after putting my jersey into a bucket of water,
I hunted up an old jersey, loaded the pockets, and rode the road bike.

I can't carry stuff in the pockets of my jeans on my road bike. Well,
I *could*, but I don't like it. I could carry a purse, but I don't
like that either.

It was much easier to bring back a sandwich on the road bike. I
carried the Amazon box in a pannier, so I didn't have to un-bungee it
before I could put the sandwich in and re-bungee, *and* it didn't take
nearly as many bungees to do the trick, since I had anchor points well
away from the box instead of under it.

The last time my wife and I went out to dinner, it was on our tandem.
She had about half of her pasta dinner left over, so they gave her a
standard styrofoam takeout box. Luckily, they put the box into a plastic
bag - because the standard box wouldn't fit horizontally into the
tandem's rear rack bag (it sits on top of the rack) or into its
handlebar bag. But still, when we got home, some of the pasta sauce had
leaked out into the plastic bag.

Obviously, we need rational standards here! Takeout boxes should be
sized to fit bike bags, and vice versa!

Back when I had the old style Scott aero bars on my touring bike, I was
pleased to find that they made an excellent carrying rack for styrofoam
takeout boxes. Add a bungee cord or two and everything just worked.
Those were the days!

This is simply a matter of style. As can be seen, innumerable times
here, the technique is simply to hang a plastic bag from the handle
bar and let it swing in the wind :-)

Yeah, but I have handlebar bags on almost every bike. And more
practically, I'm quite worried about having anything that might tangle
my front wheel spokes. I know an avid rider with the (former) habit of
lashing his jacket loosely around his handlebars. He went over the bars
when his jacket sleeve dangled into his front spokes.

However, I did learn a new trick on the last trip to the grocery on my
Bike Friday. I have only small bags on that bike, and I was left with
one plastic bag of groceries that wouldn't fit inside them. But it
occurred to me to unclip the handlebar bag, hang the plastic bag over
that handlebar bag mount, then reattach that handlebar bag.

There was no way the plastic bag could unhook, and the little 20" wheel
of the Bike Friday was way down below the plastic bag. At least for the
relatively short distance I had to ride, it seemed perfectly safe.

Nope, just tie the "handles" of the common plastic sack together and
slide up over the handlebar until they catch on the brake levers and
ride away :-)

With the usual width of the bike's handle bars the bags will be swing
outside the radius of the front wheel.

I once passed a cyclist carrying 6 live chickens to market, three
hanging from each handlebar end :-)
--
cheers,

John B.