Old April 12th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

Default Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message ...

I am curious about how often other people crash, and what causes their
crashes.

So how do other people get in trouble?

Well Frank we had an exchange a few years ago on this topic and if you recall I said that on average I crash on average about once every 15000 miles or 2 years and that these are almost always loss of traction crashes that do not invlove anyone else.

In the whole of my cycling life time (50 years) I have had two crashes with motor vehicles which both led to serious injuries one of which I carry to this day and another in which I hit a child running out from between parked cars. None of these I would contend were my fault. The two car impacts were the result of cars turning into me with the usual excuse "Sorry I did not see you mate". Fortunately I had witnesses for one and benefitted financially from the resulting compensation.

Also on your favourite topic of helmets a number of these craches have resulted in damage to my helmets but none to my head or face. In one particular crash on a steep descent I slid along the ground with only my helmet keeping my forehead and right eye off the tarmac. The helmet point of contact was worn away by almost half an inch.

To answer your direct question as to how some of us get into trouble then it is because we train, we race, we push the envelope and when you do that as several other posters have said "**** happens". Do not get me wrong I have the greatest respect for all who ride a bike but I have the utmost contempt for the likes of you who continually deride those who do not conform to your view of what cycling is about.

Graham.

---