Old April 20th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Most Dangerous: Cars, Dogs, Kids on Wheels, Other Bikers, Pedestrians?

"Ziactrice" wrote in message
oups.com...

So, I get cussed, dog eventually loses interest in person standing
behind bike telling him authoritatively he is a 'bad dog', 'sit', and
'go home!' (not that he listened), I ride slowly off, watching. Sure
enough, he loops around owner and owner's kids, comes back for more
fun. I manage to ward him off, but in process, go down in the grass. No
injuries, 'cept my pride. Owner left behind in the interim. Dog goes
off to another street. I cycle back to owner, tell her 'charged me
again, dumped me this time, now he's over on (nearby street's name).'
Ride off while owner is gaping because I came back to tell her where
her lost dog was.

How do you rank the most common dangers you encounter by risk? Meaning
not just severity (cars!) but frequency (kids!). I'm not yet riding on
the Real Roads, but when I do I suppose I'll be missing that nasty
little dog in comparison to the traffic.

Depends on the route. I don't know why but I am very fortunate in my dog
encounters. In over a decade I can think of only 3 serious charges by dogs
and two were from the same dog. Most ignore me. A few give a half-hearted
and friendly chase.

The most troublesome from my perspective is the dog in a fenced yard who
charges maniacally towards you to defend his territory. He can't get at you
but he can startle you into an accident. At least with dogs on the
trail/road you see them and can be prepared.

The biggest problem with kids and dogs is the potential for both to dart in
an unexpected direction suddenly. I think kids are more prone to that. Most
adults seem more likely to plod along in one direction.

The problem with cars can be eliminated 90% by well-designed roads. Of
course it's the other 10% that can kill you just as dead.

As for getting ready to ride in traffic: It is just a matter of
acclimatization. You get used to it.