Old April 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Most Dangerous: Cars, Dogs, Kids on Wheels, Other Bikers, Pedestrians?

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Ziactrice" writes:

How do you rank the most common dangers you encounter by risk? Meaning
not just severity (cars!) but frequency (kids!).

Well, I'd put jaywalkers right up near, if not the top of the list.
I don't know if they think bicycles "don't matter" since bikes are
smaller than cars, or if they just don't visually register the
presence of oncoming bicycles. And a lot of 'em underestimate
the speeds and stopping distances of bikes.

I had a couple Jaywalkers sneer at me just the other day--walked out in
front of me when I was about 2 seconds from them. I swerved and went
behind them and they made "gosh" sounds. This is in a town in
Connecticut (where walkers have absolute rights if they are in a
crosswalk) where they were not in the crosswalk--they were just too
lazy to either (a) wait for traffic to pass or (b) walk an extra 30
yards to get to the crosswalk.