Old September 12th 09, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

BrianW wrote:
On 11 Sep, 19:55, "Brimstone" wrote:
mileburner wrote:

I was almost wiped out by a van a few weeks back. The driver pulled
out from a farmyard on the left. He was looking toward me but he did
not really see me; he was looking at the tractor behind me and
realised that he could pull out without needing to give way to the
tractor. The things which saved me were 1) I was passing wide
(centre of lane) and I saw him moving out and 2) there was nothing
coming ahead so I could pull across even further.
You can't trust drivers :-(

Nor anyone else with your own safety. Sadly, some people try to and
then cry about it when they come unstuck.-

I don't see it as a case of trusting anyone else. Unless you mean
"trusting that no-one pulls out in front of me from a side road whilst
I'm cycling down a hill". That would mean cycling everywhere at 0
mph. In which case you begin to live in GollumWorld.

I disagree.

At traffic junctions it is imperative to acknowledge that a car *may* pull
out if you want to maximise your own safety. That means staying well clear
of the gutter and if something does start to move out be able to stop or
take avoiding action.

The other option is to trust that every driver *will* give way and hope for
the best.