Old September 13th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
oldMaxim

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

On 13 Sep, 06:12, Doug wrote:
On 12 Sep, 10:36, "Brimstone" wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
On 12 Sep, 08:03, "mileburner" wrote:

I would suggest that you keep an eye on the traffic and be prepared
to get out of it's way if it is coming at you and looking like it is
not going to stop. The roads are dangerous donchaknow?

While I agree they are dangerous, the question is whether it is
tolerable in a civilised society to allow them to be this dangerous?
It seems to me that either the people who drive have got to get a lot
better at driving (I include myself), or slow down drastically, or be
prevented from driving. Current standards of driving skill in this
country are not acceptable.

How do you legislate for a driver suffering a heart attack whilst in motion?

Give every driver a medical once a year and impose draconian
sentencing when they kill vulnerable road users.

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.- Hide quoted text -

....still paranoid then Doug.

Life's full of risks - No matter what you ride or drive, you have to
treat everyone else on the road/path like they're suicidally stupid,
and always be ready for the unexpected. Medicals and stiffer sentences
aren't going to make any difference, you check out any HSE stats and
see that there's always going to be this residual risk left at the
bottom of the graph after all possible potential is removed - that's
life!

The original article seems to be saying that it's not the traffic at
fault - it's the cycle path stuck in the gutter of the road, placing
cyclists in harms way - that's the problem. You shouldn't be ranting
about drivers, petition instead your local authority for safer cycle
ways - and if that doesn't work out and you can't accept your own
responsibilities where personal safety is concerned, then why not get
the hell out of Catford....

Mac