Old September 13th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

JNugent wrote on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 00:26:33 +0100:

Alex Potter wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote on Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:31:00 +0100:

Plenty of room if you ban cars. Somehow I suspect that's the answer
MattB is looking for....

When it takes me (unfit, 62 year old) 3 times as long to travel from
the city centre to my home by bus than it does by bike (I live just
outside Birmingham's "Outer Circle" on one of Brum's radial roads), I
suspect that the time for banning cars in most cities is long overdue.

Banning buses, surely?

Here you go, unsnipped.

"Most" was probably a poor choice of word. Certainly in Birmingham, if
car use, except in exceptional circumstances, was forbidden for local
journeys (i.e. those inside the motorway box) and if the decline of the
city's public transport was reversed then getting around would become
much easier.

Few places here are more than 5 or 10 minutes' walk from a bus stop, and
we are no longer dependant on the car industry, which has for so long
driven transport thinking here.

--
Regards
Alex