Old September 14th 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

On 13 Sep, 13:18, "mileburner" wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
On 12 Sep, 10:36, "Brimstone" wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:
On 12 Sep, 08:03, "mileburner" wrote:

I would suggest that you keep an eye on the traffic and be prepared
to get out of it's way if it is coming at you and looking like it
is not going to stop. The roads are dangerous donchaknow?

While I agree they are dangerous, the question is whether it is
tolerable in a civilised society to allow them to be this dangerous?
It seems to me that either the people who drive have got to get a
lot better at driving (I include myself), or slow down drastically,
or be prevented from driving. Current standards of driving skill in
this country are not acceptable.

How do you legislate for a driver suffering a heart attack whilst in
motion?

Give every driver a medical once a year and impose draconian
sentencing when they kill vulnerable road users.

How does that stop a driver suffering from a heart attack whilst driving,
how would you pay for the additional new doctors required to carry out the
check and what sentence would you impose on a dead car driver?

Howsabout banning anyone from driving who has a BMI 25. That way it would
dramatically reduce the probability of said driver having heart attack, it
would mean all the fatties would be forced to walk a bit more and get some
much needed exercise, and reduce the traffic at the same time

Big problems often have very simple solutions.

Although an attractive idea it would be perceived as discrimination.
Instead, a widespread reduction in car use could have several
beneficial effects. I am thinking along the lines of the use of
psychology to reduce wander-lust. Somehow remove the urge to move
about aimlessly in cars and planes.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net