Old July 28th 05, 04:43 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default "Dangerous" Cantilers?

Werehatrack wrote:

Bloody hard to make a canti setup without adjusters at the levers
unless you cross-breed it with a roadie, innit? I can't see that
working well anyway.

I think the cited assertion is an overreaction to a problem that's
hard to create to begin with. *If* a set of canti brake levers could
be found which lacked adjusting barrels

There's no such thing as "canti brake levers" except in the imagination
of marketeers. The issue involves using drop bar brake levers with
chantilevers, as is done on virtually all touring bikes.

No current-production drop-bar brake lever incorporates a barrel
adjuster, but back when center-pull calipers were the hot thing,
virtually all "bike boom" tenspeeds had adjusters built into the housing
stops on the headset and seat cluster, even the cheapest models.

Thast is how it should be for modern bikes with drop bars and
cantilevers as well.

Alternatively, there are a variety of "in line" cable adjusters readily
available. Theres no excuse for trying to foist a bike off on a
customer that lacks some reasonable fine adjustment to deal with normal
brake pad wear.

No self-respecting mechanic would pass a bike with such a poor setup.

Sheldon "A Step Backwards" Brown
| "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a |
| thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that |
| cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be |
| impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, RIP - HHGTTG |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide