Old August 8th 18, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 6:48:15 AM UTC-4, Max Nosugar wrote:
Hello Guys,

I have set up a time trial bike single gear its very fast 50t chainring and 14t rear. However, the new ironman race route in my location requires crossing a bridge with obviously inclined slope. I'm used to going uphill but it burns significant amount of energy. Btw, the new route has 3 loops which makes it a little disadvantage on my part going up and down the bridge 6 times. Having experienced this, I was thinking maybe putting a double chainring like 52t & 36t with front shifters would decrease the tension for the climb? Do you think this is possible? I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Max

It's possible but you then need to put a front derailler and something to take up the slack for when you go from the big chainring to the small chainring.

52 x 14 = 100.4 gear inches. Don't you find that a bit hard on the flats too?

Cheers