Old August 27th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Baka

Default Ohio community's radar sign warns speedy cyclists

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Aug 27, 12:58 am, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
BEACHWOOD, Ohio (AP) - Police in a Cleveland suburb are using radar to fight
speeding on bicycles.

People who walk the paths in Beachwood City Park have been complaining about
bicyclists who fly by, Lance Armstrong-style, so police have posted a radar sign
to show bikers how fast they're going. It's similar to the digitized signs that
warn motorists about their speeds through construction zones.

The sign typically catches riders going more than 10 mph, the city's speed limit
for bicycles in the park.

People should think about this before they lobby in favor of a "bike
path."

BTW, does this speed limit apply only to bicyclists? Would they
hassle a runner? 10 mph's a six minute mile, and good runners can do
that pace for quite a while. Even a casual jogger can exceed that at
least in a short sprint. And exceeding 10 mph is no problem for a
roller blader, who does it with no effective brakes.

- Frank Krygowski

For what it's worth, I can still hit 15 MPH on a short sprint of 50 to
100 yards at 60. Jogger? Not me, I just break into a run at random while
walking and not riding. I've been trying to teach my 8 year old grandson
to run on the balls of his feet and not his heels like a jogger but he
is hopeless. That's why I don't 'Jog', since they almost all run landing
on their heels and then bitch about shin splints. Bicycling has given me
a good perspective on having good calve muscles. Even any sane runner
will slow down on a blind spot since it is easier for a runner to change
speeds than a cyclist.

Bill Baka