Old November 2nd 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Jim Ochowicz is still a corrupt loser

Susan Walker wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
ASO isn't going to to invite your Pro conti team
since 2 team slots are already going to French Pro Conti teams. If ASO
accepts BMC, they would be forced to eliminate another Pro Tour team.

I don't know yet what to think of BMC's chances of getting in. However,
the situation is rather more complicated than: all ProTour teams + some
French ProContis. For one, and for what it's worth, there was a deal
struck between UCI and GT organisers in 2008 to grant all then-ProTour
teams guaranteed entry for 2009 and 2010. That includes now-ProConti
Bbox and Cofidis, while Credit Agricole and Gerolsteiner no longer
exist, which leaves 16 teams.
New ProTour teams from after the deal: Garmin, Katyusha, Shack, Sky.
Cervelo is a ProConti team that seems sure of an invite. The Tour starts
in Holland so there is bound to be at least one Dutch ProConti team from
Vacansoleil and Skil-Shimano. Vacansoleil all but secured an invite by
signing the French Feillu brothers, and they have Hoogerland who showed
himself in the Vuelta, Worlds & Lombardia and announced his intent to
focus on the Ardennes (ie. ASO) classics. Skil only have Kenny, so,
probably not. That leaves one French ProConti squad Saur-Sojasun with
Casper, Coppel and Hivert. All in all, 25 teams.
Maybe, probably?, 22 teams to start the Tour in 2010 so 3 to leave out.
If they honour the 2008 deal, which do you pick? I think BMC trumps Skil
and Saur-Sojasun at least and possibly Sky and Katyusha. If they chose
to forget about 2008, BMC should be able to get an invite before
no-hopers Lampre and Milram.

This is a nice analysis. I'm going to use it to other people and claim it
as my own.

Thanks,

Magilla