Old October 29th 03, 10:02 PM
Stewart Fleming

Default Armstrong's Tour De France Time Trials

Rik O'Shea wrote:

Most people who race or follow cycling know that it is effectively a
sport in which one's performance is governed to a large extent by ones
power output. A good sprinter is defined by someone with a high
top-end power output, a good climber by a high power to weight ratio
and a time trialist by their power output at aerobic threshold. Of
course there are other factors that come into play but power tends to
be the key overriding factor.

Don't forget that HR data is often useful :-)

Seriously, your estimates for Indurain's aerobic power are on the high
side. 515-550W would be typical for his Tour-winning days. I don't
recall exactly, but I think the 550W figure was at/before his successful
hour record attempt.

John Cobb had an article last year (sorry, but I didn't record the link)
where he detailed the work that had been done over some period of time
on improving Armstrong's power output and reducing frontal area and
other drag characteristics in order to improve time-trial performance.