Old May 9th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On 2020-04-30 21:24, wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:03:19 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Just had a Kenda thorn-resistant tube fail. It lost pressure
suddenly and overnight without being ridden the day before. It
started to split along a factory seam. This seems to happen ever
since they started making them less than the usual 3mm thick
towards the rim.

Does anyone know who still makes the real stuff, 3mm thick all
around? Or maybe another good version thorn-resistant tube? I am
running 700c 25mm tires with an additional tire liner in there.
Might go to 28mm in back some day.

The only time I ever lost 3mm all-around tubes was upon violent
tire blow-outs (sidewall failure).

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg, you sure must be one hell of a rider in terrible conditions.

Not really. I use my bicycles not much differently than my car.
"Pavement ends" is not a reason for me to give up and turn around. On
the contrary:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/23...g?v=1587241131

Today I had a large cut in my tubeless tire and that was the last
straw. It is just too messy to use and fix out on the roads. Back to
tubes and clinchers.

I think that's a wise decision. It you'd add a tire liner that's even
better. Two of us three riders yesterday have liners, one doesn't. Guess
who got a goat's head flat ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I talked to a friend that does a lot of your type of riding and he said that you can buy tubes that have removable presta valves in them and you can shoot Orange or Stan's Racing sealant into them and pretty much end flat tires.