Old June 15th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Thursday's ride

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:19:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

One of my personal sadnesses is the realization that potholes form much
more quickly where trees shade the road. And in bright sunlight, the
dappled shadows make it hard to see those potholes.

I love trees and I love smooth roads. I wish they weren't in conflict.

I haven't noticed that, perhaps because around here tree-lined roads
tend to be roads used only by the people who live on them.

When I lived in upstate New York, and trained for the September
Century every summer, I was much puzzled by the brown line on my left
calf. Eventually I realized that whenever the sun was to my right, I
was on the shady side of the road. I still have a tendency to put
more sunscreen on my left leg.

When planning tomorrow's ride, I noticed that Google Maps will now
allow me to ride a bike over Chinworth Bridge. Previously, I had to
map two separate rides.

So I switched to walking mode: they still won't let me step over the
curb between KCH and the Beyer Farm Trail. I suspect that they can't
figure out a way to let walkers use routes that aren't in their data
base without letting their automatic route maker route people through
buildings.

I do walk through buildings when I haven't got the bike with me. When
I was in college, I regularly cut through the State House to get to
the state library. And always reflected on how IMPRESSED I had been
the first time I saw the inside.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net