Old June 27th 03, 09:20 PM
AboutHalfBent

Default BikeE Recall

I think Dave explained in an earlier post why he was moving to a CLWB. I
don't recall the details (yes, I'm old), but it seemed valid enough at the
time. :-)

A late model CT should have the SRAM "DualDrive" 8x3. Slightly older models
will have the SRAM "Spectro" 7x3. Between the wife and I, we have one each
in my family. There's very little difference between them, but I do think
the shifters are slightly improved with the DualDrive.

Couldn't agree with you more about the benefits of riding what you're happy
with. Fortunately for me, all my friends ride bikes from WalMart, so my CT
looks pretty darned good. Still, it's not the fully-suspended USS SWB that
I _really_ want, and maybe someday I'll fix that.

I'm glad I didn't pay $695 for it (and probably would not have), but I do
like that new bike smell. Used bikes are (IMHO) a risky business unless
you're a qualified mechanic and get to perform a good inspection before you
buy.

About the only aspect of the CT that I'm unhappy with is the brakes.
Qualifying statement: I'm old, and nobody would call me a serious athlete.
Given a small hill (about all we have in N. Texas), or a good tailwind, the
CT makes 25-mph, and the stock brakes just won't reel that in any time soon.
I hear better brakes are available that fit...anybody know what those would
be?

Thanks,
Craig

"skip" wrote in message
I can't help but wonder if you liked the P-38 you had for so long if you
will be happy with a Bike E. A used Rocket would be a couple hundred

bucks
more an might prove to be much more to your liking over the long haul. It
would be more P-38 like than a Bike E.

But to answer your question about the three speed - I assume it is the 7x3
unit. The one I have is about 8 years old and has been ridden a bunch in
the rain and some off road in sand. Nary a problem. I've got a S-A three
speed on a Raleigh Twenty from the 70's and it still works fine.

"Dave Clary" wrote in message
I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too
good (breaking seats). I've seen some notices about some CTs selling
for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I believe
that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?

One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor
in buying a bike that will have no warranty.

Thanks,

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary