Old August 24th 19, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Darn near lost my sole early this morning!

On 8/21/2019 4:09 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/21/2019 3:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

The Gorilla Glue repaired shoe is holding up so far which is aÂ* good
thing because today the right sole separated from most of the right
show. The only reason neither sole came off completely is that there
are two rives through the heel/sole of the shoes.

FWIW: My wife was on a hike with a friend and lost the lugged sole of
her hiking boot.

I searched online for recommended cements, and the recommendation I got
most was to use Barge Cement. That's a brand name. I was able to find
Barge Cement only online, through Ebay IIRC.

I can't guarantee it's best, but the repair has held up through quite a
bit of winter walking. (She uses other shoes in warm weather.)

AFAICT, Barge cement - which I have used in the past - is just a brand
name for "contact cement" which is available in various brands. I
believe my current bottle is Weldwood brand.

I've used contact cement to repair separated shoe soles in the past; I
think it's what shoe repair shops use, or used to use when there were
shoe repair shops. Contact cement hasn't failed me yet, though the
shoes usually die of some other failure before the contact cement gets a
long-term test.

Shoe Goo also has its purposes, e.g. building up shoe soles on the
bottom when they are worn. I've used it to to "rebuild" worn-down MTB
sole lugs. I'm not surprised people have been disappointed when using
it as a cement.

Bike-specific content: Contact cement was effective at re-attaching rim
tape on sew-ups; perhaps too effective, as I'm not sure removing it for
subsequent patching would have been possible.

Mark J.