Old January 23rd 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:07:29 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-21 22:08, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

[...]

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or
smaller tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when
mounted on a wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

... and re-spacing your frame
from 126mm to 130mm is a breeze, assuming it is needed.

It will be necessary. No problem bending it up but if I have to
straighten the slotted drop-outs afterwards that is probably more
tricky. Not sure, never done that.

I've never seen a road wheel with 12g spokes -- not on a sport frame.

For heavy guys who sometimes carry a load and must weather some rougher
roads it makes sense.

You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You
should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.

I like this old bike. It has sturdy rack eyelets and a nice rack on
there. Works well. Why should I buy a whole new steel trekking bike for
$1500 when I can buy a wheel for $100 and be done with it? Plus then

my wife would want me to get rid of the Gazelle road bike and I just
can't do that. It would be like throwing away a 50's era Porsche.

The only downside of this bike is that it doesn't have low gears for
steeper hills. So I have to use the MTB for such rides but that's not a
big deal, comes at a small speed penalty and life isn't about racing
through it. At least not for me.

Having been there and done that I would suggest that if the drop-outs
require aligning that you take it to a shop. Not that aligning the
frame is an overwhelming problem rather that a shop will (hopefully)
have the correct tools which makes a successful outcome far more
likely.

See: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...pout-alignment

--
Cheers,