Old July 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dane Buson

Default Order a pair of tires or 3 tires?

landotter wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

Rotating tires is a mistake. Think about this: which would you rather
risk, a front blowout or a rear blowout?

I know this is the rec.bicycles.tech official printing on the spinning
prayer wheel, which was affixed by Sheldon's double sided tacky
tape...and that it sort of makes a bit of sense on paper, BUT I don't
know of anybody that's ever had a wreck EVER because of an exploding
front tire. I'm sure it happens on occasion, but so keep repeating the
mantra is a bit of sensationalism.

I ran into someone last week whose front tire blew out. He was pushing
his bike along and I asked if he needed anything. Evidently his front
tire blew, he went down, bent his handlebar, mucked up his front brake
and something else. He decided to just take a bus.

Disclaimer: I think I should, but do not actually practice the front -
rear regimen.

Rotate front to back if it's convenient, but if you're worried about
fall-down-go-boom, just check your tires now and again for wear, cuts,
and the like. Replace worn tires as needed, I usually do it when
they're squared off, not when the casing threads show.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is supposed to be changed when you see the
blue inner layer. I'll tell you how that works when I get down that
far.

--
Dane Buson -
Engineering: "How will this work?"