Old October 9th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/8/2019 10:02 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 12:36:41 +1100, James
wrote:

On 9/10/19 4:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"Bicycling is dangerous! You need to wear a helmet, use bright lights in
the daytime and wear Day-Glo clothing. You need bike lanes, and you need
to stay in them. Knee pads and elbow pads wouldn't hurt either! And you
really ought to just load your bike in your car and take it out to a
nice safe bike trail. Riding in a city just isn't safe."

Here's what all that "Safety Inflation" ultimately generates:

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/trans...-push-1.920236

Bicycling can be dangerous. People die doing it, as they do falling
from bed, I know the rhetoric.

It is understandable to infer the message is "Bicycling is dangerous!",
but it is often put as "For your safety, wear a helmet & hi vis, use
lights & reflectors, etc."

In other words, "You will be much safer (or 'safe') if you take these
precautions..."

Trouble is, you are not made 'safe' by taking those precautions at all.

Sure lights are pretty important at night or during times of poor
visibility, but safety comes more from keeping your wits about you. Not
riding in the door zone. Watching all turning traffic for failure to
give way and having an escape route. Reducing speed when it is wet and
slippery. Riding in a prominent position on the road and being aware of
what all the other blind vehicle operators around you might be doing, etc.

It's like dancing with multiple vision impaired partners simultaneously,
knowing that they're swinging punches and by getting too close to any
one of them can result in a punch to the head if you're not careful.

Keeping your wits about you is probably more important than all of the
usual recommendations put together!

Of course riding in a country where the drivers better accommodate
cyclists is next on the list. Italy was pretty good. Much better than
Australia.

The answer is fairly simple, simply pass a law that in a collision the
larger vehicle, subject to proof otherwise, is deemed to be at fault
and is financially liable for any and all resulting costs. Including
replacement parts or vehicle, hospital and medical costs, loss of
income, and even funeral costs if necessary.

While this may not be politically possible in Australia it does, in
Thailand, appear to reduce bicycle accidents and according to my
neighbor, the policeman, most small motorcycle - auto crashes have
been found to be the fault of the motorcycle.

As I've mentioned, we made friends in Zurich when we were there. They
told us such a law had been recently passed, and they claimed that it
transformed the experience of walking and cycling. It made things much
nicer.

We spent an evening walking around the downtown with them. I remember
the drivers as being very polite. Perhaps scowlingly polite, but still
polite.

--
- Frank Krygowski