Old May 6th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

On May 5, 8:26*pm, Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

Are you already an experienced rider who knows what size frame you
need, what kind of shift system you prefer, and are on a first name
basis with a good bike wrench? I doubt it or you wouldn't be asking
the question. g If your shopping will consist mostly of perusing
craigslist or ebay, I'd suggest you rule out buying a used bike
because I doubt you have the necessary knowledge base to ask the right
questions of the seller. That's not intended as an insult. We all have
different areas of competence. When it was time for me to buy a new
laptop lots of people directed me to the Web to look for used
computers- at least until I asked them, "The seller says it has
Windows 2000. Does that come with screens and storms?"
OTOH, if you run across what looks like a decent garage sale bike
("decent" in most garage sales means a bike that is a comfortable if
not necessarily perfect fit, rust free, and tires that aren't rotting
away) for $10 - $20 then what do you have to lose?
As for having it stolen, if you live in an urban area I know of only
two ways to avoid being the victim of a bike thief.
1- Don't own a bike.
2- Never *EVER* let it out of your sight or, better yet, your grasp.
The way most approach the problem of bike theft is to take reasonable
precautions, buy insurance (if the bike is expensive), and hope for
the best.

Regards,
Bob Hunt