Old August 28th 08, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Default Ribble Valley Juniors

vernon wrote:
With the prominence of the efforts of the British Cycling Team's
efforts on the track and road, I doubt that many youngsters will
regard the wearing of a helmet as an unusual activity. I insist that
kids wear helmets for Go Ride activities and they kids do come into
contact with each other and the ground when they go outside of their
skills envelope or, heaven forbid, when they choose to do their own
versions of balance exercises or close proximity riding.

I'm sorry, but I don't accept that compulsion is ever the right approach
with cycle helmets.

There are circumstances where recommendation is appropriate, and I also
have no problem with forcing children to comply with their parents'
choices rather than letting them decide for themselves.

Compulsion says two things I have a real problem with:
- this activity is too dangerous to do without protective equipment
- with this protective equipment, it becomes safe enough.

The injuries helmets might protect against are worth avoiding,
especially if you plan to 'go outside of your skills envelope'. But
they're not so severe that you should be compelled to protect against them.

I've not had any parents objecting to the wearing of helmets.

I bet most of them would be surprised if you said that the helmets
cannot be relied on to give any protection in serious impacts.

Note for trolls: I support anyone's choice to wear a cycle helmet. What
I am against is compulsion by 3rd parties. Clear enough?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.