Old August 28th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

Default Ribble Valley Juniors

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:21:52 -0700 (PDT), vernon
wrote:

On 26 Aug, 09:54, David Martin wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:47 am, Colin McKenzie wrote:

Ekul Namsob wrote:
Just a quick post to put on record my daughter's appreciation of Ribble
Valley Juniors, where she has been for the last two Saturday mornings.
They do insist on the wearing of plastic lids (which I imagine is
probably a requirement of insurance companies)

Other insurers don't. Why not ask them if they've looked for one?

Though if they're affiliated with British Cycling the rule is probably
from them.

It'll be a Go-Ride type club and the rule will be a BC rule. Quite
sensible given the likely scale of injuries (minor bumps and bruises)
and the activities (pushing the boundaries of the skills envelope in
close proximity to hard objects.)

Same rule at our club, but no-one bats an eyelid when the kids ride to
and from the club sans casque.

Helmets are not evil, inappropriate mandation is.

..d

With the prominence of the efforts of the British Cycling Team's
efforts on the track and road, I doubt that many youngsters will
regard the wearing of a helmet as an unusual activity. I insist that
kids wear helmets for Go Ride activities and they kids do come into
contact with each other and the ground when they go outside of their
skills envelope or, heaven forbid, when they choose to do their own
versions of balance exercises or close proximity riding. What they do
with their helmets outside of the club activities/hours is not my
business. The pupils are aware that I don't wear a helmet for day to
day riding but wear one when leading Go Ride activities.

Why do you wear them for Go Ride activity and not at other times?

If a junior member of the club was to ask your advice as an
experienced cyclist - does wearing a cycle helmet overall reduce the
risk of injury to the head - what would you say?

--
you can either promote cycling or promote helmets,the two are
incompatible. (Guy Chapman)