Old June 3rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

"recycled-one" wrote in message
Assume you are making a left turn from a middle, left-only, lane onto
another multi-lane street.

How soon do you transit to the curb lane after the turn? Right away as
part of the turn? Or as a separate movement from the center lane to the
curb?

Depends on traffic. I have this sort of turn every day, turning left from
the #1 lane (one way street), but in two blocks I'm turning right. Traffic
is always fairly heavy; there's almost always buses in the #2 lane shortly
after I make the left. The question for me has always been at what point do
I position myself behind/in front of the buses, especially considering that
there's only two blocks (one a very short block, about one articulated bus
length long). It is really dependent on how many other vehicles there are,
exactly how many buses...I've been known to stay in the #1 lane after making
the left, and then cutting in front of the loading/unloading bus and making
my right, which feels fairly agressive.

Now assume not far after the left you will be making another left as
diagrammed by the purple arrows:

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/stone.scott.bmp

Do you stay in the center lane? [blue arrows] Or transit to the curb lane
[red arrows] and then back to the center lane for the second left turn?

No transiting; stay in the #1 as is.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky