Old February 10th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Danger! Danger!

On 2/10/2020 11:51 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 11:21:15 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:

snip

What about DUI checkpoints?

Are they legal in California?

Yes. They don't give a breathalyzer test to everyone, they ask you some
questions before they decide. They will typically set them up on Friday
and Saturday nights, and on major holidays where they know that people
are likely have been drinking.

Two years ago I was at a July 4th party where the hosts had just sold
their house and were moving to Denmark. They had all their accumulated,
over many decades, liquor out on a table. They insisted that everyone
drink it since they couldn't take it with them.

I didn't think I was drunk, but I wanted to be extra cautious and
thought I should not drive home after the fireworks, which we could see
from their back yard. So I began walking. It's only about two miles but
I was pretty tired. I was walking west on Stevens Creek Boulevard, and I
saw a VTA bus parked at the bus stop across the street so I got on and
took it home.

Good thing because just a few blocks down the road there was a DUI
checkpoint with several Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputies and they
waved the VTA bus right through.

I made it home safely even though I had never driven a bus before.