Old September 3rd 03, 01:45 AM
john_childs

Default Reverse vision glasses...

Adrian wrote:
*Always wondered how safe it is to mount a mirror right next to your
eye in this fashion. Even assuming the mirror is shatterproof etc.,
I'd've imagined hitting it at the right angle would force the mounting
arm into your eye.

Obviously you're less prone to UPDing though, because you don't have
to look back. *

I used a third eye mirror on my glasses back when I was a roadie (road
bicyclist). The mirror works great and makes it MUCH safer to ride on
the side of the road next to traffic. When I was riding my road bike I
wouldn't go on a ride without the mirror and a helmet. I really like
being able to know when a semi truck is going to pass me or if a car is
drifting off the side of the road, if a car is moving over when they
pass or are hugging the fog line, etc. Those are all critical things to
keeping you alive when playing in traffic on a road bike.

I haven't used the mirror while riding my Coker because I don't ride the
Coker on the road with traffic. All my Coker riding is on bike trails.
But if I do get the crazy urge to play in traffic with my Coker I'll use
the Third Eye mirror.

The mirror is stable as long as your glasses fit snugly. The image in
the mirror doesn't bounce around too much. There are helmet mounted
mirrors that stick on your helmet rather than clip on to your glasses.
The helmet mounted ones are more wiggly because the helmet moves around
more than your glasses do so the image in the helmet mounted mirrors
does bounce around more.

The mirror may be a little tricky on a uni because a lot of people bob
their head as they ride. On a road bike your head is still and steady
so the image in the mirror will also be still and steady. I think I'll
have to try the mirror on the Coker once just to see what it's like and
see if I bob my head a lot.

I wouldn't use the mirror on a muni or a mountain bike where you are
more likely to crash on your helmet. Endos on a MTB are very common.
On a road uni (like the Coker) or a road bike you are not going to crash
on to your head so there is very little danger of the mirror arm getting
poked in your eye. Anyways, the mirror arm mount is back behind your
eye closer to your temple so it would take a pretty weird crash to get
it to poke in your eye anyways.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com