Old July 23rd 09, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Cobwebs and cycling

On Jul 23, 4:30*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tom Sherman °_° writes:

Mike A Schwab wrote:

There is a bicycle trail in Springfield IL that is very busy during
the day. *One evening about 4 years ago I went for a group ride on the
trail. *It was a summer evening about 6:10 pm, I am sure a couple of
hundred of riders had rode that trail that day.

There had been a short, light rainshower just before the starting
time, I happened to be least scared of getting wet, so I was the lead
rider out. *Perhaps an hour had elapsed since the last rider had come
through. *Sure could not tell that by the cobwebs though. *They were
thick. *Stretched all the way across the trail, 8 feet from tree to
tree. *Did this for at least a mile.

That is why you put a front fairing (Zzipper or Mueller) on your 'bent
and duck your head down behind it.

I still vividly recall once riding through a swarm
of baby spiders, wafting in the air on their silken
natural hang gliders. *I washed my copious hair
multiple times daily for a couple of weeks after that.

And then there are those tiny flies, like midges,
mayflies and no-see-ums. *You get one in one eye
and reflexively blink on it, thereby squashing it
into your eye. *As you try to extracate its remains,
you get another one in the other eye. *In the words
of Dizzy Dean, you are then "blounded."

And they like flying just at dusk when it is so beautiful that, even
if you aren't gasping air open-mouthed from your exertions, you are
singing for the joy of it. And then some gogga gets in your throat.
Yech. Even the Japanese wouldn't dip those in chocolate. -- Andre Jute