Old July 1st 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson[_2_]

Default RR: Colorado Trail (Part 4)

On Jul 1, 9:21*am, MattB wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
On Jun 30, 3:53 am, Corvus Corvax wrote:
Days 4 and 5: South Park

One thing about bike touring is that it arouses sympathy in just about
everybody you meet.

{Terrific prose snipped}

The wind takes me up to 10,000 feet as if carried by angels.

My ISP dropped Usenet access a week ago, and reading via Google Groups
is not only boring but frustrating (can't tell who wrote what), but
these four tour accounts by CC were simply outstanding. *Glad I stuck
around at least long enough to enjoy those. *Thanks, CC!

Bill "still nursing a broken scapula (40 mph front blow out) but road
riding again" S.

Ooh, sorry to hear about your misfortune Bill. Ouch! I separated my
shoulder earlier this year (too much air off a water bar on a windy day)
and that was a real drag too. I'm now back to full riding condition and
have a stash of pain meds for if I ever need them again (knock on wood).

Hope your recovery is full and speedy!

Matt- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Matt. I was VERY fortunate, really -- helmet cracked in
numerous places, plus even my sunglass frame was scraped all to hell
-- but my face and head were untouched. (Didn't even know it hit the
pavement until a helping rider said, "Well, your helmet sure did its
job!") Road rash was pretty light, too, considering.

Landed hard on right shoulder (one that's already had two surgeries)
and hip -- still have two red "trauma circles" on both almost 5 weeks
later. Thought I'd torn up the wing really bad, but had no idea I'd
fractured anything. Should heal in place and not need hardware.

I'm going in for an "arthrogram" and MRI today. Surgery 50-50 odds
I'd guess; would really like to avoid.

What's hardest to take was a material defect (bead separated from
casing so tube poked through and...BOOM!) causing the crash and not my
own "user error". The latter would be MUCH easier to accept.

Still, considering I could have easily broken my neck or been run
over, I know how fortunate I was.

Bill "heck, I was even getting back into mountain biking weekly/
weakly" S.