Old October 16th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Speed cameras to be implemented and red light cameras to be removed

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:05:29 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/16/2013 11:29 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Well, as a person who bikes and walks around here, I'm just fine with
drivers who say "I don't trust the cops; so I'm going to just drive
the speed limit, and stop for the red lights." Also for the drivers
who say "I'm going to avoid that town."

So you really don't care whether or not someone was driving unsafely or
even breaking the law or not, you just want to stick it to drivers.

Oh, please! First, I'm just saying that motorists should obey the laws (even though I realize that's a radical idea in some circles). Why should violations of traffic laws be treated more leniently than violations of shoplifting laws, industrial pollution laws, or other laws?

Second, nobody is "sticking it to drivers." We've already made the world extremely convenient for motorists in every possible way; and in doing so, we've made it quite inconvenient for those _not_ driving motor vehicles. For motorist convenience, my otherwise walkable village was cut in half by a 5 lane road that looks more like a freeway than anything else, and pedestrian crossings are far apart, with long waits for a "Walk" sign. And that's far from unusual! Grocery stores that used to be within neighborhoods have all been moved miles away, on "main roads" so there would be easy access for motorists and plenty of parking. Pedestrians aren't even given sidewalks in most places where roads are widened for motorists.

Motorists are hardly a persecuted segment of society. The idea that expecting obedience to laws is persecution, only illustrates how out of control motorist privilege has gotten.

- Frank Krygowski

Oh,

wait, I've known that for years. Move to New Rome, you'd fit right in.

Some of us actually believe in fairness, laws that make sense, and

reasonable enforcement however.

nate

--

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.