Old October 17th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Speed cameras to be implemented and red light cameras to be removed

On 10/16/2013 08:09 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Nate Nagel considered Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:44:56
-0400 the perfect time to write:

On 10/16/2013 03:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:05:29 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/16/2013 11:29 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Well, as a person who bikes and walks around here, I'm just fine
with drivers who say "I don't trust the cops; so I'm going to
just drive the speed limit, and stop for the red lights." Also
for the drivers who say "I'm going to avoid that town."

So you really don't care whether or not someone was driving
unsafely or even breaking the law or not, you just want to stick it
to drivers.

Oh, please! First, I'm just saying that motorists should obey the
laws (even though I realize that's a radical idea in some circles).

But those enforcing the laws are exempt from them?

I don't know which bit of your mind that came from, but it wasn't
stated in anything you're replying to.

That's what we're talking about here - ILLEGAL ACTIONS on the part of
municipalities to raise revenue at the expense of motorists, by trapping
them into breaking the law.

Seems that the most that even the "poor persecuted motorists" can come
up with is an occasional example of a light that has it's calibration
out by a few percent.

Occasional? They're nearly universally like that.

And when they get reported, they get fixed.

You actually believe that? How cute. That one light might get fixed,
then quietly the camera is taken down and moved to a different "problem"
intersection. (where the actual problem is a short yellow.)

Sure, if a light immediately turns from
green to red with no yellow, and I cross the stop bar after the light
turns red because I have no hope of stopping, and the law says that that
is illegal, well, then I'm a criminal. But would you really say that I
was a bad person or scofflaw in that situation? Do I *deserve* a ticket
for that?

Of course not, and you know as well as I do that if you were given one
in those circumstances you'd appeal it and it would be thrown out -
and if the case was that extreme, probably the contractor that fixed
the lights to generate illegal tickets fined, sacked or maybe even
imprisoned as well, for fraud.

How am I going to appeal an automated ticket? (seriously, look it up,
it's really difficult and expensive to do - more expensive than just
paying the ticket. This is how the corrupt system stays functional.
It's easier to just give in than fight.)

Or is this one of those four legs good two legs better kind of things?

For me, it's one of those illegal and dangerous bad, legal and safe
good, kind of things.

But you're OK with the government breaking the laws that they are
supposedly bound to? That to me is worse than an individual

And as Frank says, things have already gone way past reasonable in
pandering to motorists, even without colluding with their illegal
behaviour.

Ah, you're not from around here are you.

Seriously, here in the US, traffic law is NOT about safety. It's about
making money. It's *spun* as being for safety, but most enforcement
does SFA towards actually making the roads safer. Motorists are not
pandered to, far from it. It's become a game of motorists vs. cops, really.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel