Old October 5th 03, 08:46 PM
joona

Default New Torker: My first attempts trying to ride...

Carl Barrentine wrote:
Day 3: I spent another hour at the tennis court this morning. After
about 45-minutes of rather sluggish progress, I was finally able
to--in an accidental flash of luck, I think!--pedal 5 or 6
revolutions! Gads! I was balancing, not touching the fence with my
gloved left hand, and was really moving. Then I got scared, perhaps
because of the speed on the 24" wheel, and I launched myself forward
and off the uni like a gazelle. It's not much. But for me the 5-6
pedal strokes was a wildly important Day 3 milestone. I sure do a
heck of a lot of perspiring whilst fiddlin' with this Torker. What a
workout! I don't think there's a relazed muscle in my body...not even
my eyelids! This is perhaps why it's taking me so long to get the
hang of it. I have a hard time relaxing. Riding a bike is very
relaxing. Not so, yet anyway, on the uni! Toodles! --carl

I'd recommend you stop holding to the fence, now that you can do a few
revolutions. You may end up with a nasty habit of leaning to one
direction. I practiced by getting up while holding onto a wall and rode
away from it. Just like Cubby said, start holding to a light post or
something like that and ride away from it. This way you get more
practice on balancing and propably learn a bit faster. And remember,
never look down. Look at the same point all the time.
And about that sweating part, you'll learn to relax while practicing.
When I made my first about 400 meters (1/4 mile) ride, I sweated about 4
litres. Or more. This was while learning to freemount. Now I can ride
continuosly about 2 miles and it's quite easy.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

Real men use the same razor to shave their beard and legs
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436