Old January 26th 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

Default Fear of Flying

On 25 Jan 2007 14:20:26 -0800, "chalo colina"
wrote:

So because
'bent bikes are (generally speaking) worse than upright bikes with
regard to stability at speed, 'bent trikes are /more stable/ than
upright trikes, and this makes two- and three-wheeled 'bents comparable
to each other in their sure-footedness at high speed.

I've raced diamond frames and ridden for some time a SWB Vision. I
find taking the Vision down a curving downhill more stable than the
diamond frames - and I've held my own in a decending pace line under
race conditions. So I simply do not agree with your assumption. Yes,
Armstrong or Merkx could out descend me - but the same would be true
with me on a diamond frame.

FWIW, a person that knows how to race an upright trike can make it do
wonders in a turn - something I have observed but been unable to
duplicate (and had the scars for a while to prove my lack of success -
it wasn't as easy as it looked, and it didn't look easy in the first
place). Not sure if they would try the same leaning process on a fast
downhill though.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...