Old May 10th 04, 05:22 AM
James Lynx

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Mr. B, I was at Tony's Schwinn and asking about how he's doing with
sales now that there are all these Walmarts and Costcos selling bike
and he says fine. That bikes are selling at his store better than
ever. He also said that he is constantly fixing bikes that people buy
from these stores as well. So I guess he's making money fixing the
cheap bikes from mega stores and those who buy bikes from those stores
probably decide that they want a good bike so end up buying from him.
Not bad for the bike store owners huh?

I do recall tho that probably about 20 years ago two Schwinn shops
near me went out of business and this was before the mega stores that
are popping up every where. I'm glad that Tony's stayed in business.
I think the original Schwinn company went out of business about 20
years ago too didn't they then someone bought the name and made
Schwinn again? Maybe the original bike line going out of business had
something to do with these other two shops going out of business.

James

Mr B wrote in message . ..
I read a quote a while ago when they were itnerviewing a local biek shop when a WalMart was comign
in a mile or so away. They talked to him after it went in and he said he loves it because he gets
to repair all the crap that WalMart sells.