Old September 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Default Questions about recumbent trikes

Typhoon Longwang wrote:
DougC wrote:
Speaking for US-oriented examples--
The tadpoles tend to be lighter overall and more performance-oriented.

This is true, IMO. In my experience, tadpoles are much more stable when
cornering at speed. I have no problems taking certain sweeping turns
around here on my tadpole at 30 mph, but I'd have to change my shorts
(probably after I got out of the hospital) if I tried the same thing on
most deltas.

For odd cornering, see:
http://www.jggrafx.com/thomsstuff/thebis1.jpg.

On the RWD/RWS Thebis, you feel the rear end swing to the side before
much change in direction occurs. The high center of gravity makes it
fairly easy to flip in tight turn [1]. I have not ridden a Thebis
anywhere but a parking lot, but I would be VERY hesitant to go fast
downhill.

[1] Based on observations of someone else tipping a Thebis over while
cornering.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer