Old August 22nd 05, 12:00 AM
sinus

Default Warning: H*lm*t content

Resound Wrote:

I'm still undecided about whether the law should mandate helmet use fo
adults. However, children don't have the sort of decision makin
abilitie
that adults do, that's why they're considered children. In the same wa
tha
it's illegal for children to smoke tobacco, drink alcohol etc it shoul
illegal for them to partake of risk taking behaviour like ridin
without
helmet. Once they're an adult they should perhaps be allowed to make u
their own minds. Then there's the issue of the public health syste
subsidising people's voluntary risk taking behaviour. But that'
anothe
rant.

How hard would it be to encourage children to wear a helmet if adult
don't. Not to mention any enforcement when they are teenagers. Yo
cannot effectively get kids to adopt a behaviour when it is highl
obvious that their role-models, adults, are doing something different

I always shake my head when I see people on bike paths with helmets o
the handlebars, particularly when it is Dad with the kids. I want on
of those magic helmets with accident detector and auto-instal
capability. You wonder what logic Dad used to get kids to put thei
helmet on

I have had my share of accidents on a bike in the past. Last count wa
two on the road involving cars, one on the road caused by fault
equipment (tyre, bang), one on trails (note: check front wheel quic
release before going over ANY size bump) and two on the Yarra bik
path. The only two times I hit my head was on the bike path a
reasonably slow speeds. And both would have been bad headaches withou
a helmet. That's good enough for me

--
sinus