Old July 14th 08, 04:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "ASTREA transports injured biker [spinal injury]"

\http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/new...red_bike.html:

The sheriff's ASTREA helicopter was called Saturday morning to
transport a 34-year-old man who suffered a suspected spinal-cord
injury in a mountain biking accident just north of Palomar College. An
ambulance could not reach him, authorities said.

The accident happened about 9:30 a.m. Because of the rugged terrain on
the mountain, which is marked with "P" for the college, San Marcos
Fire Department personnel requested that ASTREA pilots fly the victim
from the mountain.

The man was secured to a backboard and flown to waiting paramedics at
the north end of Las Posas Road in San Marcos.

A dispatcher with the San Marcos Fire Department said the injured man
was with a friend who called 911 when the accident occurred. A GPS
device on the cell phone aided ASTREA in finding the two, both from
San Marcos.

The injured man was taken to the trauma unit at Palomar Medical
Center, the dispatcher said.
He added he was unsure how the accident occurred. "I'm not sure if he
went down in loose gravel or what," the dispatcher said.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande