Old August 17th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

AMuzi wrote:
Single speed chain and classic 4, 5, 6, 7 speed chain rivets
are easily removed and re set[1].

Mine is a six-speed cog set on a freewheel (the bike is an AA serial
Cannondale). There's no obvious incentive to change to anything more
modern unless the archaic style parts become unavailable. Is there some
other benefit to consider? I'm surely no performance rider 8-)

Eight, 9, 10, 11, 12 speed chain has rivets flush with the
outer plate face, the plates are thinner and harder, and
the fit between rivet and plate is tighter.

Sounds like a real stinker to re-assemble.
If I'm reading right you're saying the rivets are straight and
_not_ peened to a head, just like the old type. Is this correct?

Setting a rivet
not only takes more push but the rivet must be exactly
centered and uniform. Prior efforts included tapered-guide
replacement rivets before even the the most notable victim
of "We Didn't Invent That" disease capitulated to the
superior snaplink.

If I get a "modern" chain tool will it work acceptably on an
older-style chain? Hopefully I'll be carrying it as a public service
rather than for my own use, but it'd have to work on my bike too.

With modern two-pivot-spring changers, wrap the chain around
largest front and rear sprockets, add 2 rivets ( or three,
as needed, to end with a complete link) then pass it through
your changers and join it. Older lower-spring-only changers
usually want more chain, as much as you can add without
excessive sag in small-small, although various setups do vary.

The derailleur is marked "Shimano Deore XT", which I gather
is lower-end. It feels like it has two springs, however. Am
I kidding myself? It's certainly not original, I bought it
after the OEM derailleur jammed the chain and broke, ~1990.

Thanks very much for posting!

bob prohaska