Old August 17th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 5:10:49 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 8/17/2019 9:57 AM, bob prohaska wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Single speed chain and classic 4, 5, 6, 7 speed chain rivets
are easily removed and re set[1].

Mine is a six-speed cog set on a freewheel (the bike is an AA serial
Cannondale). There's no obvious incentive to change to anything more
modern unless the archaic style parts become unavailable. Is there some
other benefit to consider? I'm surely no performance rider 8-)

snip

The 10, 11, and 12 cog freewheels are because of the desire to go from a
triple crankset to a dual crankset while retaining a comparable range of
gears. It's not easy to find a new bike, other than department store
bikes, with triple cranksets.
https://road.cc/content/feature/221157-death-triple-chainset. A dual
crankset with a wider range cassette is cheaper to manufacture and
simpler. You often need a longer chain, 118 links, even up to 122 links,
if you want to be able to do large-large with a wide range cassette,
i.e. 11-52. The old days of 14-34 for a touring bike are long gone when
you have only a dual crankset.

I have yet to see any 10, 11, 0r 12 cogs FREEWHEELS. I thought those cogsets were only available for CASSETTES. LOL ;)

Cheers