Old October 21st 19, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Eight Days of Gibson

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:45:23 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I try not to have to cross six or eight lanes of traffic and my
"Bangkok Rides" were all mapped out to avoid it. Over here we drive on
the left side of the road and my bike routes were so I only turned
left.

I have some right-turn only loops.

US 30 is the only multi-lane road around here, and it's much easier to
cross out in the country where one *doesn't* have the help of a light.

Out in the country, I wait for a gap in the traffic, then ride across
two lanes to the median. More often than not, there is also nobody
coming in the other direction, but if there is, I can wait comfortably
in the median until the way is clear.

In town, I must, from a standing start, sprint across four traffic
lanes, two right-turn lanes, and a median wide enough to hold a car
lengthwise. And the stop line may be well back from the edge of the
highway to allow room for left-turning semis.

Needless to say, I often consider something on the other side of 30 to
be out of reach. But the plan to make it absolutely uncrossable
probably won't mature until I'm too crippled up to ride. Making 30
"controlled access" is going to be very, very expensive.

Meanwhile, the town is building walkways everywhere and calling them
bike trails. Two of the three currently in the planning stages don't
look too bad. One is a loop of boardwalk through a privately-owned
swamp, and one is a continuation of the Heritage Trail from Miller
Field to Christ Covenant Church. Heritage Trail doesn't cross any
road or street except Pierceton Road (Or King's Highway; I'm not sure
where the city limits are), and that is marked with blind-man dots and
gates you have to ride around. There's also a stop light, if I recall
correctly, for times when there's a large group on the walkway. I've
never pushed the button, because traffic on Pierceton/King's is very
light most of the time, and it's easy to wait my turn.

Come to think of it, when I come back from Pierceton, I cross 30
twice, because Van Ness Road is much more pleasant than Pierceton
Road.

Where it's Detroit Street, State Road 15 is four lanes, no median, no
shoulder. I get off and use the sidewalk. Where it's Buffalo Street,
it's the same traffic that crowds Detroit Street squished into two
lanes. I don't go.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net