Old December 24th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Humorous Bicycle Safety Quiz

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Frank K. wrote:

But I don't think much of the "pretend you're invisible"

advice. A cyclist who was invisible could never have right of way.
He'd have to stop and wait until every car was safely past him. He'd never
get anywhere.

So "Pretend you're invisible" is silly. Instead, I'd

recommend riding in a visible position in the lane, using lights at night, and
be alert and ready to avoid motorists who fail to see you. These have
worked for me for 40+ years.

Edward Dolan wrote:

Good advice, except for that riding in the lane bit. It is
best of stay out of the lane that motor vehicles are using. Sooner or latter
some nut is going to run right over you and then claim that he did not see you.
Frankly, if a road is not wide enough to keep me out of the lane or does not
have a shoulder suitable for cycling, I avoid those particular roads. That is a
far better way of insuring that you will be cycling for 40+ years.

I think this depends on the other circumstances. There is, admittedly only anecdotal, evidence that riding as if you 'own the road' in congested cities is actually safer.

One of the biggest killers is drivers being unaware of cyclists and therefore passing too close. Taking control of a lane, albeit for a short time, may well be safer.

For example, if I am about to turn left I would take the lead position in the centre of the left hand lane. Thus, when the lights go green there are no vehicles potentially cutting me up as would be the case if I positioned myself to the far left and permitted another vehicle to come alongside. This is particularly important with lorries.

I think it boils down to how big a risk taker are you? How much do you trust motorists to watch out for you? My level of trust is minimal due to very many personal experiences.

Your number one consideration while cycling on city streets should be safety, not getting somewhere fast. Traffic is sometimes so ****ed up I will take to the sidewalks to get out of it.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great