Old April 5th 05, 04:51 PM
small change

Am I missing something? What is the main advantage of wearing a
wicking fabric? Because it feels good? Too keep you warm? To keep you
cool?

Westie made a good point that cotton acts like a sponge, which can be good
or bad depending on the situation. I think it's bad most of the time.

There are many many different wicking synthetics, and they all perform
differently. For example, coolmax tends towards damp and clammy, while
coolmax alta feels dry and cool. Some retain odors, some do not. Sure,
keeping track of all the technical performance data is enough to make anyone
nuts. There is a certain amount of personal preference that comes into
play. What works well and feels good for me may not work for you.

Improved comfort while exercising is the main reason to look at performance
fabrics IMO. I'd rather be cool and dry than warm and sticky.

Depending on your sport, you can talk to others that do the same thing as
you do, and see what works for them.

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing