Old July 20th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default don't mess with Bobke

On Jul 20, 12:16 pm, bob sullivan wrote:
Meg Worley wrote:
This morning's coverage provided a great Liggettism, but minus the Liggett:
"We'll see who's wearing what foot in a few minutes..." poor Al promised
us, but I blame Bobke. He had just finished spinning out a chain of
tortured metaphors (as only Bob can), and Al was just trying to be a
good sport. Or maybe he was trying to stop the metaphor carnage.

I haven't heard much in the way of Liggettisms this year. Could Phil
be getting old?

Was it the gray hair that gave it away?

And I haven't heard Paul say 'suitcase of courage' even once... Maybe
I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

From Wiki:

Examples of his "Liggettisms":

* He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!
* He climbs like an angel!
* He's wearing the mask of pain.
* He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he
doing?
* This is a pedigree group of men, they are holding on by the skin
of their shorts.
* And who is that in the background? That looks like Stephen
Roche! IT LOOKS LIKE STEPHEN ROCHE!
* His bike actually weighs less than 1 kg. It's a dream going up
the hill, but he'll be blown away going down it.
* We now watch the riders make their way up the mountain road,
chosen by the road department as the least arduous path. I can tell
you right now these riders would disagree with their choice.
* Now if I were an Olympic cycling judge-which as it happens I am-
I'd say that was alright.
* That is twenty-one miles of pure purgatory.
* He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage.
* These are the great adventurers of the Tour De France, and the
spirit of the race for all to see. Go out and see what you can do.
* Paul [Sherwen], with this attack the chicken skin is about to
fall.

I think the guys are definitely slipping, though; they've gone entire
days without referring to the leader being 'resplendent in the yellow
jersey'.

The peloton sure has been angry, though.