Old September 29th 14, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Cheap bright tail light

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:50:43 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"John B. Slocomb" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:33:42 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

[snip]

Or is there some mechanical, physical or psychological reason for
having a break actuator in any particular place?

Cheers,

John B.

Living in the UK my first bikes did have the front brake on the right but once I realised the front brake to be the one used most and got round to doing my own setups I changed over to having it on the left. Now all my bikes are set up that way and have been for at least thirty years so my brain is well and truely accustomed to the set up.

The main reasons for my preferences a

1. Separating braking from gear changing when the need for braking and changing down simultaneously is important. Firstly when I had down tube shifters and latterly with brifters. My preference being to brake predominantly with the front brake.

2. I am virtually ambidextrous when it comes to using things like tools but I guess I still have slightly finer control with my right hand so that makes modulating the back brake easier when braking hard to avoid a rear lock up. With modern brakes differential hand strength is not an issue.

3. All my bikes now use Shimano brakes and you get a much better cable line from the left lever to the front brake.

Graham.

All very valid reasons. The first "hand brake" I ever used was on a
motorcycle and it was on the right (a British motorcycle :-) and to
me, that is has been the proper place for it ever since.

--
Cheers,

John B.